Monday, July 25, 2011

Let's Bead Friends----cool iPad app for kids

 I want to use this blog to occasionally talk about apps that I have used with kids in a speech/language setting.  One that has especially appealed to girls (not meaning to stereotype girls-- boys do like it too) is 'Let's Bead Friends'.  This app lets you design a bracelet, picking first the bead shape, then the color, and then the design.  At the end, you have a bracelet with a charm on it that you can keep in a virtual jewelry box, or email as a gift to mom.

How do I use it?  This summer, my graduate intern designed a communication board with bead choices and comments.  The child (pictured at right) used the board to tell the adult what type of bead she wanted.  If we had had two children, each child could take turns selecting beads. 'Let's Bead Friends' was very motivating and easy to use.  This student in the picture was learning to combine words into sentences--since she loved the activity, she was very motivated to use her language! Some children struggle with the fine motor aspects of crafts--an app like this levels the playing field, allowing an activity similar to the real thing without the extra motoric skills required.

 In addition to enhancing communication skills, I think that Let's Bead Friends has potential to teach or reinforce math patterns.  Those of you who work in the schools know that in the early grades, a lot of work is done teaching ABAB and ABCABC patterns to name a few.  Beads could be put on the bracelet in a pattern that the teacher wants.

Screen shot--the color is picked and the design is the choice now.  Touch the + to do a virtual stringing.
completed bracelet!
Here are beads in an ABAB pattern.  What would come next?

All in all, this is a fun app for the iPad, and well worth the .99 cents. 


Click here to get a communication board in Boardmaker


Click here to get a communication board in pdf



.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ruth,
    Just found your blog - love it! I think iPads must have been created just for you! LOL When did you move to Rashkis? Just a reminder - The Help opens August 10!

    I'm adding your blog to my list of blogs I follow. Hope you have a great school year.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan! I can't wait to see The Help! I'm at Rashkis only for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tech post! Love it & there is an app for that! Thanks for linking up to The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog - and I LOVE IT!! I'm a seasoned SLP, but am new to the school setting. I am scouring the net for ideas and your site has been a blessing! Do you happen to still have the communication board your intern created to go with this app? It would be a great resource (and save me the time of creating one). I appreciate your blogs on ipads, i have my own personal one, and one for student use. I am new to using it (as most of us are) in tx, and appreciate your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry it took so long to reply----I don't have the board, but can make one and post it tonight. No problem---thanks for the compliments!

      Delete