As usual, I've been a bit busy with Boardmaker (getting the original idea from Boardmaker Share) and have a few visuals to be used, and along with a bigger written word ("Drat") which is to be laminated and mounted on a stick. This is a repeatable (short) line in the book. Kids can hold it up at key moments----in a group, the 'Drat holder' position is coveted and shared.
Concepts for teaching with this book are endless----
- there's the whole story structure and grammar of it---characters, setting, problem, and solution are very clear in this book
- Halloween vocabulary
- character feelings---frustration, anger, happiness, pride
- push vs pull (One of my kids today was confused by this.)
- sequencing events
- on the vine, off the vine--simple position concepts
- question comprehension
- if we were actually allowed to cook, we could make pumpkin pies with the kids. (Alas, other kids in other schools can enjoy that!) Following a recipe is a great way to learn how to sequence steps, and a way to learn the language of directions in a functional context.
YouTube audiobook recording
Click here to download icons in Boardmaker
Click here to download icons in pdf
|The 'Drat' holder!!|