Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Baby Animals (printable book)

Get out your offsprings' stuffed animals and enjoy this book with your speech kids.  I'm sure all of you moms out there know what I mean.  I stole (borrowed) a lot of my daughters' toys for therapy, and still have a large bag of beanie babies sitting in the corner of my speech room waiting for books about furry creatures...a book like this!  

I grabbed the original version of "Baby Farm Animals" from Tarheel Reader, and then embellished it with a bit of dialogue, a new last page, and icons for kids to match.  When cutting out the icons to match in the book, I would leave the two word phrases together (e.g. 'baby horse'--don't cut out 'baby' separately).  It makes for less of a cluttered experience. 

Check out the pictures---who wouldn't love the baby dog?
   This book is great for April---baby animals seem to be born then!   Work with the kids on many levels:
  • basic matching
  • combining two words
  • commenting (what do you think the kitten is saying?)
  • talking about remote events (Do you have a pet?  What does it do?)
  • Making choices (What animal do you like the best?  Why?)
If you think of other uses, add a comment!  






 Click here to download the book and icons.

Have fun!





















.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! While I'm doing my spring cleaning, maybe I'll lug out the box of beanie babies. Thanks for the idea and the book!

    Oh, How Pintearesting!

    ReplyDelete