Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Where is Temple Runner Going? printables

Do you like Temple Run?  Do you love Temple Run 2?  My kids and I do-- especially a couple of second grade boys I work with.  Although my boys love to play it, articulating exactly where the guy is going, or where he will go is a challenge, so as usual, I made a book.  This book is a little more advanced than my previous books for these reasons:

  • There are two verb tenses---present and future.  The reason is pragmatic; I simply couldn't do a screen capture of the man jumping and sliding while playing the game--not enough fingers.  Some of the pictures, then, are what he WILL do, while others are what he is doing.  It's a good teaching moment!
  • There are different verbs throughout the book--slide, run, jump, go are examples.
  • The prepositions go a bit beyond in, on, and under.  There's in front, over, across, through, and directional concepts of left and right.
  • The sentences vary in pattern a bit, so if I were to guess a reading level, it would be early 1st grade.

prepositions page


I made two books---one with all of the print, and one with blanks where the prepositions go.  Each book has the preposition icons at the end.  Have fun!  

Click here to download the book with all of the words.

Click here to download the book with the 'blanks'.  

Preposition icons are at the end of each book.




I'm a strong believer in using a child's interests to guide my teaching.  If Temple Run enables a child to want to learn directional concepts and prepositions, great!!!  I hope this activity works for your kids, too.


6 comments:

  1. What a great idea - love this! My students are always asking to play Temple Run :) Thanks for sharing!

    Abby
    Schoolhouse Talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They love it so why not use it in a speech way!

      Delete
  2. Another great example of taking a "non-therapuetic" app and finding the therapy! Well done Ruth! And, it's hard to beat the price... if this was "therapy app", it would likely cost $10-$20!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim! I get my inspiration from you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I might do the same type of thing for 'subway surfer' which is another favorite of some kids of mine.

      Delete