I had a great day today in our primary EC classroom with ladybugs. We read "Ladybugs Everywhere", and I was amazed at how well the kids did with the icons and sentence strip. "Ladybug" is actually a complicated word to pronounce, and my one little guy did a fabulous job at it! He was so motivated by the book! For whatever reason, I'm finding the simple Boardmaker graphics a real draw when creating adapted books---kids pay attention. Once I have their attention, half the battle is won.
The second part of our activity added more fine motor. Alas, our occupational therapist just had a baby, so today, I was part O.T. (We SLPs have to be flexible!) I prepped the materials in advance---cutting up circles, and rectangles to make ladybugs. The task was one of assembly and following directions. There was also the pragmatic piece--requesting materials and colors. A couple of my kids use a communication notebook with the left side always being core vocabulary, while the right is fringe (activity specific vocabulary).
I encourage independence, so final products from the kids may not match exactly with the model.
|Communication is the goal, not the product.|
Below are the screenshots of the step-by-step. I did a lot of prepping in advance to avoid difficult scissor requirements. Glue and tape were the tools needed. I used the Pictello app (my favorite) for this activity. The kids merely touched the iPad for voice output, and swiped to turn the page.
|Screenshot, and the photo of my midnight prepping!|
|They clearly understood this step!|
If you would like the ladybug directions in pdf, click here. I cut out the body from red poster board, while the black parts are construction paper. The cutting, as I said, was in advance, and not part of the directions.
This weekend, I'm in Brevard NC. The fog over the mountains as I drove in was lovely. This picture isn't mine, but captures the essence. Have a nice weekend everyone!