Sunday, January 22, 2012

Slow Cooker Tandoori Chicken; the Case Against Red Food Coloring

I haven't blogged for a while about gluten-free recipes; I just haven't been cooking elaborately lately. Today, however, I knew I was going to be a home for most of the day, and tried out another crockpot recipe from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.  This time it was Crockpot Tandoori Chicken.

The first thing I learned when reading the recipe was that most Tandoori chicken cooked in the US is red because of food coloring.  That doesn't work for me--I don't exactly eat organic all the time, but if I can avoid unnatural substances in my food, that's what I'll do.  I made my chicken in its natural color, so it doesn't look like the red Tandoori chicken that we know.

Chicken and rice are all in one serving dish
My chicken didn't come out looking "Tandoori-like" but it tasted good.  I cut up some boneless breasts, and then cooked it all according to recipe.   You may want to use bone-in chicken for more authentic Tandoori appearance--your decision.  It's easy to make in a Crockpot!

Notice the flowers?   Here it is mid-January, and David picked camilias and daffodils growing in the yard.  Will it ever snow here again?

1 comment: